Shed Sessions- Throw 'n Go (try the wheel)!
Regular price $120.00
*Please contact Sarah via email@example.com or 0434 698 078 to organise a time before purchasing!*
Always wanted to try the potter's wheel but never had the chance?
Well, now you can – at a discounted price! These shed sessions are the perfect no-pressure environment to get your hands dirty and experience the joy (and challenge) of throwing on the potter's wheel.
Across a two-hour session in Yarraville you will learn about the process of pottery making, from clay preparation to firing.
The session will start with a safety briefing and chat about the process, followed by a quick demonstration of throwing a pot on the wheel. You will then get to jump on the wheel yourself and get stuck into centering clay, pulling the walls and shaping your very own ceramic pieces!
To maximise your time on the wheel, the clay will be prepared for you. Due to the slow nature of the pottery process, your pieces will be trimmed and glazed by me after the session.*
You’ll choose up to 3 items to keep and pick which glaze you would like used on them. They will be fired and ready for collection approximately one month after the session.
What do I need to do to prepare?
- When slinging clay on the wheel things are bound to get messy. Please wear closed-in shoes, no tight-fitting clothing and nothing you are scared to get dirty (clay washes out but it's best not to take chances).
- Please bring a towel.
- Long nails and pottery don't mix! Please make sure yours are trimmed short for the session.
- You will receive an email with the address upon booking (there's lots of on-street parking and Yarraville train station is only a ten minute walk away)
Why so cheap?
- I have previously taught ceramics in a very casual setting and I’d like to refine my teaching skills to prepare for more professional teaching environments. These shed sessions are a mutual learning experience!
- The classes are held in my humble home studio – perhaps not as glamorous as some other professional studios, but with the possibility of seeing Angus the cat!
Why learn with Snakebird?
- Receive personalised tuition from a teacher who is patient, enthusiastic and knows what it’s like to be a beginner.
- Keep the unique objects that you made with your very own hands!
- Guaranteed good tunes (several hours have gone into curating the perfect pottery playlist).
- Immortalise your 'Ghost' moment with a photo of you on the wheel.
- Tasty snacks and an adult bev after 4pm (please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any dietary requirements).
*If you would like to complete the whole process (deciding the final shape of your piece by trimming the base yourself), this can be arranged. We will organise a time for you to return within the week after your throwing session to trim the base and decorate your pieces with underglaze, if desired. This additional session will be $40 per hour, paid afterwards.